Saturday, February 8, 2014

Sophistique Noir Theme Post - Outerwear!

I LOVE coats! Can you tell? I'm currently making a 60's cape and an Edwardian jacket. I've also got about15 more coats than I posted here. A 1940's varsity jacket, a Victorian cape, an uber modern Japanese coat, 2 brocade 60's dress coats etc... Here are a few!
On the left is my everyday coat. It is black wool and made by Shelli Segal. I found one similar on Macy's website and it is $325! Mine was free! It was given to me by my mum's friend who was moving. I added a hood and a Victorian mourning cameo. I'm wearing it with a silk Alexander McQueen scarf I received for Christmas. On the right is a coat my step-mum sent me last week. She was in Target, took one look at it and thought of me. It has a faux fur collar and sort of a swing fit. On a side note, my mum liked it so much she went and bought one too. Oh boy, twins...
 The fur coat on the left is my "Edward Gorey" coat. Thankfully mine is fake! On the right is my silly 1930's hiking ensemble. Everything is scratchy wool that makes me nuts.
The super long military coat is made by J. Crew. I found one like on their site - $398! Mine is from Ross in Los Angeles, marked down several times because no one there has any use for something like this. People always stop and talk to me about it when I wear it. On the right is a silly little wool & sequin cape by Prabal Gurung for Target/Neiman Marcus. I think I could only wear it in the spring/summer around here. 
Right now it is 9°F. That's -12°C! (I know this is not at all cold compared to say, Helsinki, but is plenty cold 'round these parts) 
On toward my two silliest coats. The red coat is from the 1940's, but I "modified" it to wear to the Vancouver Olympics in 2010. It's all sequins and goofiness. I made the hood from pockets taken out of my mum's red coat. My boots are Rockports from Ronsons, for some reason I HAD to buy them. They're pretty decent rainboots, they make me laugh and they were designed by women's hockey great Cassie Campbell. On the right is my WW2 Ike jacket. It's a dude's jacket, but it has patches (a roaring polar bear) on it from service in Alaska.

17 comments:

  1. I love how you added the Victorian mourning cameo! I need to find one of those one day!

    That coat looks utterly Edward Gorey!

    I love jackets and coats, I wish we had more cool weather, but not too cool either, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the cameo on Ebay, after unsuccessfully bidding on dozens that went too pricey. Right now I wish I was enjoying your summer, I just looked out the window and it is snowing like crazy!

      Delete
  2. I love the dotted one and your Edward Gorey coat! The fake fur looks creepely real, but both coats look amazing on you! Your silly coats are funny, I really like the Canadian one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like the Canadian one too. I have a whole goofy, sequined outfit to go along with it as well...

      Delete
  3. Wow! You have an amazing collection of coats and jackets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's easy to have so many when people keep giving them to me!

      Delete
  4. That's a really lovely collection, I wish I could wear several pieces from it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great collection! :) I love your everyday coat. It's go-with-everything black but totally full of style. :D I would never have guessed the long military coat came from J Crew. It's amazing. I can see why people comment on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! What I don't have is a mid length plaid coat like yours!

      Delete
  6. Now that's a collection...:)
    The J. Crew military coat is my absolute favorite and altough I'm not a fan of sequins, the cape is also very elegant. Actually, they're all gorgeous. :)
    How do you make a hood from pockets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red sides of the hood are the pockets. If you have a 3 piece hood pattern, you'll see that the side pieces look almost exactly like a curved pocket. The colours just happened to match exactly

      Delete
  7. HOT DAMN that long J. Crew coat is soooooooooooooooooo awesome!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super heavy wool too so there are no drafts!

      Delete
  8. You need a big Russian-style fur hat to go with that J. Crew coat methinks... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Спасибо! I once had a white fur hat, but I was told several times I looked like a Spice Girl in it!

      Delete
  9. Wow - you DO love coats!! :) I'm so glad the February theme was perfect for you. I adore the polka dot coat and the "Edward Gorey" coat so much!!

    I wish we could take some of your cold and transport it to California. 9 degrees F is WAY too cold for me, but somewhere in the middle would be perfect. Too bad I can't mail you some of our warmth in exchange! :D

    ReplyDelete